Thursday, November 5, 2015

Are the Los Angeles Lakers the Washington Generals of the NBA?

    Deep into LA Laker Territory,  the game between the Lakers and Nuggets was being blasted across the numerous TVs and big screens at the establishment I was at.  It was already part-way through quarter one and things weren't looking so bad for the purple and gold.  Jordan Clarkson had already ripped the nets on a couple of threes and things seemed fairly positive.

Then I heard,

"I should have worn my Nuggets jersey."

I looked over at my neighbors at the bar, smiled a bit, and remarked, "really?"

The gentleman in the dark glasses responded, "Yeah, I should have.  I don't care (referencing the fact that he knew he was deep into Laker Town USA).  WE KNOW we are the Washington Generals."

I paused for a moment.  Smiled.  I then said, "No man, c'mon, things aren't that bad."

"Oh no," he said, "We REALLY are the Washington Generals and we know it and that's ok."


Are the Lakers standing around on D?


I grinned again and said, "acceptance is key."

He grinned and nodded without reply.  I could see him waiting in anticipation out of my peripheral view.

"Ohhh, I get it," I said to this Nugget Fan, "as soon as WE realize that WE too are the Washington Generals then things might be a little easier?" 

We sort of left that as friendly rhetoric and proceeded to watch the game as the "Generals" took command down the stretch and won the game.


"Sixty-three years ago, Globetrotters founder Abe Saperstein asked Klotz to create an opponent for the Globetrotters. While the guys in the red, white and blue did their tricks and made crowds of all generations laugh and applaud, the Generals just did their thing -- try to win.
It didn't always work. OK, it never worked -- except for a night in 1971, in Tennessee, when Klotz himself hit a shot at the end to beat the clowns of basketball." _ Darren Rovell ESPN.COM

Lakers need to stop being caught with their pants down

Perhaps Teams like the Nuggets are "used" to losing.  Sure, Denver has had some decent teams over the years, but mediocre tends to be their very best placement.  Two franchises that really had been the "Generals," the Warriors and the Clippers, have turned things around to be quite the opposite in recent years.

So what then of the Lakers?  One of the most storied and successful sports franchises in history?

I will say it for you Kobe,

they suck

Sure, there is exciting young talent but compared to THIS NBA? And, as long as "they" keep giving up record setting points in the paint and points given up overall they REALLY ARE:

the NEW Washington Generals of the NBA

(if "we" (fans) accept it, then the season might be easier to stomach)